Mom’s Monthly Must-Haves
When my daughter Avery was born 4 1/2 weeks early (on the day of my Baby Shower to be exact) I quickly learned what is essential for a newborn. There is one key item that did not make the list, but it may be the most important: caffeine. Whether you like coffee, energy drinks, or prefer a cup of tea; make certain that you find caffeine to get you through the ineviable fatigue. Here are the other four of my must-haves to survive the first month.
1. Halo Sleep Sac: While in the hospital I fell in love with these swaddles! I had bought Aden + Anais muslin swaddle blankets thinking that I would manually swaddle our little one, but my oh my the ease of using a swaddle sleep sac with velcro tabs was a life changer!
2. Rock N Play: Talking with my mom I asked her if I had slept in her bedroom as a baby, her response was "No, from day one you were in your nursery in the crib." So after thinking about this conversation my husband and I decided that we wanted to have Avery sleep in her nursery after arriving home from the hospital. But feelings changed after coming home a family of three and we wanted her in our room. Instead of buying a bassinet we chose to have her sleep in the Fischer Price Rock N Play. She absolutely loved it and I think it was because the way the sides hugged her keeping her cozy.
- TIP: Spend the extra money on the "auto rocker" for those nights that you and your partner are exhausted, it works like a charm to turn it on and have the motor rock your babe to sleep. :)
3. Rolling Utility Cart: Once I was in the third trimester of pregnancy I assembled the cart loading it with newborn diapers, wipes, diaper cream, baby lotion, burp cloths, fingernail clippers, my breast pump, and nursing supplies. I purchased the RÅSKOG Utility cart in black from IKEA (love the quality and so easy to assemble), but there are many other stores that carry them.
4. Boudreaux Butt Paste: When the first round of diaper rash set in we had heard raves about this product, and they were right! This cleared up her rash quickly and helped keep it away with each application. I love that Boudreaux is "free of dyes, preservatives, parabens, and talc." My husband and I strive to use products that are *crap* free.
I would love to hear what your must have products were during the first month home with your newborn. Comment below!